Thursday, September 27, 2007

Taverna Tony

Taverna Tony will always have a special place in my restaurant repertoire since this was the site of J&J's first date... :)
J made the bold move of selecting this Malibu resto for our first date despite the danger of garliky tzatziki...ever since that time, we've been back three times and will continue going at least once a year on our special day!
Sentiments aside, why else am I a HUGE fan of Tony's? Not only is it hidden in an unsuspecting plaza among all the infamous Malibu joints, but it's cozy, the atmosphere is lively and there's nightly belly dancing! Woohoo! Oh yeah, did I mention the food was absolutely incredible? (oh yeah, this place is also LITTERED with celebs...I never notice anyone, but even I couldn't help but recognize a few famous faces....)
We've tried numerous items on the menu - the Flaming Saganaki Cheese is NOT to be missed (highly recommended if going with a group of friends...the portions are HUGE at Tony's and this appetizer may set you over the top even before your entree).
Since the menu is so vast, I can never decide on what to order...I usually go with the Taverna Combination Platter (Dolmanthes, Moussaka, Pastichio, Spanakopita, Tiropita and Baby Lamb). I ordered this on our first date and I kinda saw J's eyes widen...he was polite and didn't say anything, but I can definitely sense what he was thinking...hehe...probably wondering what he was getting himself into....
Taverna Combination Platter
(Spankopita, Tiropita, Baby Lamb, Moussaka, Dolmanthes, Pastichio)

Lamb Loin Souvalki

Rack of Baby Lamb

Every dish is a HIT here - you really can't go wrong. Whether you go with the meat or the seafood (such as the Swordfish), the food never fails to deliver and consistent every time. I would challenge you to order the combination platter and try to finish it all! I've always walked out with a doggie bag!

I'm already looking forward to our next date at Tony's....maybe this time I may stray from the combo platter... :)

23410 Civic Center Way

Malibu, CA 90265

Tel: (310) 317-9667

http://tavernatony.com/

No comments: