Friday, August 24, 2007

Japanese Restos that I LOVE!!!

Everytime we want to get Japanese food, we are always super indecisive...do we want sushi or do we want cooked food? Here is a list of places that I love and frequent with my buddies....

Furaibo, 2068 Sawtelle Blvd., (310) 444-1432:
Let me tell you how much I love this place! If I lived any closer, I would be there at least once a week. I've gotten J so addicted to Hanpen cheese that he is constantly craving it! I think he once went to Furaibo 3 times in one week...now that's insane! So I cannot leave that place until I have 2 full orders of extra spicy chicken wings, hanpen cheese (fish cake stuffed with Kraft american singles coated with panko and deep-fried to crunchy ooey-gooey perfection), tori soboro (ground chicken on rice with a raw quail egg), agedashi tofu and/or miso tofu, karei-kareege (whole deep fried halibut where they cleverly use the bones of the fish as a serving contraption), spinach bacon (oozing bacon grease that we always order when we go with Mengster T) and of course Age nasu (eggplant in sweet soy sauce). When we go with Steph, we also get the yummy kimchee nabe soup (without the fish...hehe).

Enoki and Scallops


Chicken Wings

(The famous wings...better than Hooters! Order it extra spicy!)

Hanpen Cheese

(A little piece of heaven - one of my favorite foods of all time and definitely my favorite at Furibo...this is the Japanese grilled cheese!)

Tori Soboro

(Minced chicken over rice, served with a raw quail egg - we order this everytime without fail...instead of steamed rice!)

Koraku: Late night mom-pop japanese diner located in Little Tokyo. This place has awesome rice dishes (their pork fried rice is sooooo good, especially with a shrimp omellete and gravy sauce drizzled all over), their ramen is delicious (I prefer the shoyu ramen) but my all time fav is the Tantan ramen (super spicy)...OMG...as I am writing this, I am craving it. Oh, and not to forget the gyozas (taste homemade) and the stir-fried liver dish with chives and other mixed veggies...but don't forget, it's CASH ONLY!

Shabu Shabu House (127 Japanese Village Plaza Mall,Los Angeles): Long long lines....but how often does the chef slice your beef in front of you as you chowdown elbow-elbow with 30 other people? Ok, maybe sometimes...but my point is, if you want great shabu shabu, this is the place to be...and I love how there are only two choice on the menu (small beef shabu shabu or large beef shabu shabu). The prices are the LOWEST I've ever seen in this town and the atmosphere is cozy.

Mishima, 11301 Olympic Blvd. (No. 210 Olympic): When I first moved to L.A., I was constantly at the place. I was totally blown away as to how much food you can get for such an amazing price. I always order the Ten-don combination (beef and egg served over a bed of rice, served alongside a huge bowl of noodles - you can choose between hot or cold soba or hot udon). I usually pick the hot udon, cause I love the crunchy tempura garnish they serve it with). The tofu salad is also unbelievable and highly-recommended (served with loads of bonito flakes and spring greens). Everything in here is good, but be prepared to wait in line cause it's popular!

Other notables:
Curry House
Hurry Curry of Tokyo (Sawtelle)
Manpuku Tokyo BBQ (Sawtelle)
Izakaya (on Santa Monica Blvd)
T-O-T (in Little Tokyo)

Sushi

I must admit, I haven't been to every sushi place in town, but so far, here is what I've liked...

Kaya Sushi: Ok, this place is always PACKED. But the wait is well worth it. The sushi is not traditional, but they are AMAZING (well-known for their vaste selection of rolls named after their customers and/or staff). Here are my staples: Lobster dynamite, Ama-Ebi (sweet raw shrimp with the world's most amazing deep-fried shrimp head), hamachi sashimi, agedashi tofu, sukiyaki, a couple of their rolls and their stir-fry seafood udon. To die for!

Sushi Karen: We decided to try this place yesterday after reading about it for a few weeks and absolutely loved it. I hope this place remains a hidden gem in CC cause it's small and I can see this place getting very packed! We started with a LARGE Asahi and a LARGE hot Ozeki sake. As we waited, our first order came...a generous portion of salmon and yellowtail sashimi. These pieces were THICK and FRESH (my two favorite words when it comes to sashimi). Then came the tuna and albacore sushi. Steph loved the albacore so much that we had to order another round! We also tried the Philly Roll (awesome!) and the special Crunchy Roll (deep fried roll with cripsy shrimp tempura in the middle and garnished with a sweet and spicy sauce...and then rolled in pink and green rice crackers. We topped off the evening with...yes, tempura ice cream. Now that we've tried, we cannot wait to come back :)









Sashimi Plate - Salmon & Hamachi




Philly Roll




Crunchy Roll





Albacore Sushi



Tempura Ice Cream




Sushi Roku: When I get a chance, I am going to blog all my fav HH spots...roku definitely ranks up there. After years of going to this place, I must say that I am a little disappointed that they have cut their HH menu to just a few items. I loved their shiitake-eryngii mushrooms, their popcorn shrimp, calamari, their various handrolls (esp tuna and hamachi) and not the mention their chicken karaege and their beef skewers. The sushi here is always fresh and they are always very generous with their cuts.

No comments: