Thursday, September 20, 2007

Gonjiam - KoreaTown

Looooove this place! Loved it so much, I went twice in one week. Diana loved it even more cause she went three times! This little hidden gem serves up one of the BEST bossam I've ever had...and not to mention the boiled beef....so tender, so flavorful and quite healthy! We tried this place with D & D and D's mom - this place is hidden in a little plaza, so pay attention otherwise you'll miss it. Tucked right next to a Korean karaoke joint, Gonjiam is a typical tiny mom-pops place...cute little tables and chairs that look like tree trunks (just like the ones at Beverly Soon Tofu). The service was quick and friendly and the menu is in both English and Korean...and if anything, they have pics on the wall to help you out!

D had heard about the boiled beef (aka: beef head)...yup, that's right. It's the meat from the head of the cow...trust me, it's GOOD! It comes with a side of soy dipping sauce and delicious green onions. Oh yeah, their marianted banchan is really good too - esp their spicy green onions :)

Boiled Beef with pine nuts and green onion
(HIGHLY recommended)

Bossam - we tried both pork leg and regular pork (I liked the regular pork)


Budaejiggae - a spicy stew made with hot dogs, Spam, rice cake, kimchi and ramen

(This was a stew that soldiers made during war times - I enjoyed this, however D told me that it could be better....I believe her!)

Dumplings - oh yeeahh...how could you go wrong? These were the biggest dumplings I've ever seen! We had these twice...I also really liked their spicy kimchi dumplings.

Another dish we had (my second time there) was the beef soup (no picture). We loved it and would definitely order it again. This soup comes in individual portions...it's light and the broth is extremely tasty. They use the same meat as "boiled beef"...(aka: beef head)!

I cannot say enough about this place - the fact that we went twice in one week speaks for itself. The fact that D went three times in one week also speaks volumes....I can't wait to go back :)

Gonjiam
4653 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323) 469-4648

No comments: